Calling all teen writers: Rodman Public Library wants to read your work.
Any teen, ages 12-18, can submit one (1) short story for the contest, but the teen must be able to come into the Main Library to pick up their prize, which will include a $25 Amazon gift card for first place and a $10 gift card for the runner-up. Every teen who enters the contest will receive a free book.
The short story must use the words “ocean,” “possibility,” and “summer” somewhere in the narrative in conjunction with the 2022 Oceans of Possibilities summer reading program. Those words can be used in any way or form the writer would like (for example “possibilities” and “oceanic” would count), but all three must be included to qualify for the contest. The other aspects of the story, such as the plot, characters, setting, etc., are completely up to the writer.
Stories will be blindly judged on creativity, development, style, mechanics, and ability to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Include the words or variations of the words “ocean,” “possibility,” and “summer” in a short story.
- The story should be between 1,000 and 5,000 words.
- Must be original work.
- Keep content at PG-13 level rating or lower. No excessive profanity or extremely mature topics. No extreme graphic descriptions.
The document should be formatted with the following guidelines
- 12-point font in a reasonable font choice and double-spaced
- Title of the story, your first and last name, word count on the top of the first page
- Page numbers in the top right-hand corner
Teen writers should email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday, July 30.
Winners will be notified by email and then announced on the Rodman Public Library website and our social media accounts after they pick up their prizes. Rodman Public Library reserves the right to publish the winning stories on our website.
The contest is sponsored by the Teen Writing Club and Friends of Rodman Library.
For more information, call 330-821-2665, ext. 217.